match report mousehole vs millbrook senior cup 2018





Mousehole produced another Cup shock and grabbed the weekend headlines with their second victory over a higher-league opponent in the space of a fortnight.  This time it was a narrow but deserved win over visitors Millbrook in an entertaining and at times dramatic encounter.

The Seagulls were looking to make a successful start to the Senior Cup competition in which they created history by reaching last season’s Final less than five months ago.

Millbrook meanwhile arrived in a healthy 7th place in the Premier Division after being promoted as Division One West champions in May.

Playing with the wind at their backs, Millbrook forced the first of several superb saves during the afternoon by Dom Angove in the Mousehole goal, with Adel Gafaiti putting in a vital block from the rebound after 12 minutes.

But it was the hosts who went into the lead on 16 minutes when Steven Ziboth put in an electrifying run down the left from inside his own half, and his knee-high cross was expertly side-footed in by the perfectly positioned Gerens James.

Just before the half hour, both sides were reduced to ten men. The visitors’ Tom Payne launched a dangerous two-footed tackle on playmaker Lorenzo Gerimi which sparked a reaction from players of both sides, after which Payne was shown the expected red card. But Mousehole’s returning former captain Steve Burt was also controversially dismissed by Referee Marc Rose for an alleged incident during the melee.

Millbrook then came very close to an equaliser with three chances in as many minutes.  After making a smart diving save to push a low shot round his near post, Dom Angove tipped over the awkward wind-assisted in-swinging corner, and was then grateful to Adel Gafaiti for another brave block in front of goal in the 37th.

However, The Seagulls took advantage of their own resolute defending as Gerens James doubled the lead and his own tally a minute later, the front man taking a sideways pass just inside the area to whip a curling shot past ‘keeper Chris Wearing.

The second half ebbed and flowed throughout in the high wind with chances at both ends, as two attack-minded teams enjoyed the extra space created by the earlier dismissals.

Millbrook reduced the arrears in the 54th minute, Graham O’Neill nudging home in a one-on-one after Mousehole had lost possession just outside their own box.  The momentum was now with the visitors, but they were vulnerable to quick breaks from Steven Ziboth, whose swift running always looked likely to create chances.

With a Millbrook equaliser still on the cards as they pressed forward, Ziboth put in another dash down the left on 75 minutes, but his driven shot was beaten out by Wearing, only for William Vouama to pick up the loose ball and fire into the net for a 3-1 scoreline.

Three minutes later it was 3-2 as Millbrook forced themselves back into contention with Ryan Knight working himself some space inside the box from a right wing cross to hook a left-footed shot inside the far post.

And in a tense finale, Mousehole had Dom Angove to thank for a breathtaking save in the 90th minute to tip over a 20-yard free kick destined for the top corner, with the drama continuing into added-on time as a well-executed volley from the edge of the box crashed against the crossbar.

Mousehole’s win reinforces their reputation as ‘Cup Specialists’, having last season disposed of Premier Division teams St Austell, Camelford, Launceston and Newquay.  They then went away to Newquay again two weeks ago away in the first round of the League Cup and beat them once again, earning a second round tie at yet another Premier Division club Sticker on Saturday week (20th).

Next Saturday (13th) sees The Seagulls return to League action against lowly Bude Town at Trungle Parc (3pm).

Mousehole v Millbrook: Dom Angove, Billy Curtis (captain), Ryan Andrew, Adel Gafaiti, Kelian Mpaka, Steve Burt, Paula Sousa, Lorenzo Gerimi, William Vouama, Gerens James, Steven Ziboth.

Substitutes: Tom Hands (for Kelian Mpaka, 62), Jamie Devine (for Lorenzo Gerimi, 82), Sam Shulberg, Paul Williams, Jake Andrew

Scorers: GERENS JAMES 16 (1-0), GERENS JAMES 38 (2-0), Half Time 2-0, Graham O’Neill 54 (2-1), WILLIAM VOUAMA 75 (3-1), Ryan Knight 78 (3-2).

Referee: Marc Rose.     Attendance: 67.

Please follow and like us:

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.