Mousehole Reserves made it a very happy start to the new year by leapfrogging their opponents into third place in the table with an astonishing second half turnaround after being 1-0 in arrears at the interval.

The Trungle Parc pitch was in fantastic condition and the clubhouse hospitality was top notch for both spectators and players.

On a cold afternoon both sides took a while to settle down into a rhythm and both had opportunities to score, Dom Angove in the Mousehole goal making a great diving save to deny Penryn the opening goal.  Mousehole were slowly taking control of the game, but the quality of crossing and passing needed a little bit of fine tuning.  Against the flow of play the visitors took full advantage of a misjudgement to go ahead in the 27th minute.  Mousehole rallied but a strong Penryn defence stood firm to preserve their first half lead.

Whatever the nature of The Seagulls’ half time team talk, it paid early dividends in dramatic fashion with five goals in the first fifteen minutes. Within two minutes a cross from the left by Joe Davies found the head of JJ Simmonds for Mousehole to draw level.  Another two minutes and a second goal arrived as a Nathan Goodspeed cross again from the left was headed in by Caleb Marsden.  After some excellent chasing down Michael Fitchett found JJ Simmonds who ran through the Penryn defence to take the score to 3-1 in the 54th minute.  Jamie Simons then added a fourth in the 58th minute, and minutes later JJ Simmonds’ perfect pass found Fitchett charging through Penryn defence and around both defender and keeper for goal number 5.

Penryn came back with a goal in the 64th minute to make it 5-2, but four minutes later a Jamie Simons cross found Callum George, who slotted in Mousehole’s 6th.  After a spate of substitutions around the 70th minute mark, the home side continued on the attack, with Jamie Simons completing the scoring in the 84th minute, though the action continued with the Penryn keeper forced into a fine save a minute later to deny Caleb Marsden.

The game had been all the more enjoyable because of the excellent refereering of Steve Annis, with both teams getting on with playing a good standard of football – and it was also a pleasant surprise for the airwaves to be free of constant verbal interference.

For Mousehole, this was another creditable all-round team performance, with the defence playing a full part in the victory.  A fifth league win in a row, scoring 23 goals and conceding only 5, lifts them up to third place in the Premier Division in their first season after promotion.

The next fixture is this Saturday (12th January), a 4th Round Bond Cornwall Junior Cup tie against league leaders Penwith Exiles at Mounts Bay School, kick off 2pm.  Mousehole will be looking to avenge their narrow single goal defeat by their local rivals at Trungle Parc earlier in the season.

Mousehole Reserves:  Dom Angove, Jonathan Fitchett, Jason Simmonds, Michael Fitchett, Nathan Goodspeed, Joe Davies (captain), Benji Ward, Jacob Trudgeon, Tom Hooper, Caleb Marsden, Harry Tonkin, Alex Nixon, Jamie Simons, Callum George, Tom Hands.

Please follow and like us:

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.