mousehole vs helston senior cup






Having reached a first-ever Final in last season’s Cornwall Senior Cup and already caused three cup upsets this term, Mousehole will feel a tinge of disappointment after being knocked out on their own turf by nearby Helston Athletic from the Division above.  And there will also be continuing concern after unlucky keeper Jason Robertson was taken to hospital after a serious ocollision early in the second half.


Mousehole had already beaten Premier Division Newquay and Sticker away and Millbrook at home, but Saturday’s visitors proved to be a much stiffer proposition.  The Seagulls came into the game with high expectations, especially after five consecutive wins, but Helston were also on a fine run of form having secured two important away League victories inside the last week.


There was little to choose between the two sides in the first half, the only noteworthy incidents coming within the space of a minute at the midway point.  Keeper Jason Robertson got down smartly on the line to claw out a low 10-yard drive from the visitors’ Scott Beattie, while at the other end Hamza Kaid’s dangerous cross from the right was somehow scuffed away from the lurking Gerens James from a couple of yards out.


Seven minutes into the second half, Helston’s Phil Cattran and Mousehole’s Billy Curtis and Jason Robertson all converged at speed on a through ball, and although the keeper was favourite to collect, the collision resulted in a serious neck and head injury.  Cattran escaped with a yellow card for his over-forceful challenge, but Robertson was laid out for nearly ten minutes while receiving treatment on the pitch, and after briefly resuming he was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with whiplash and concussion.


On 75 minutes Mousehole came within a hair’s breadth of taking the lead when Paulo Sousa’s shot was parried by keeper Barrie Wyatt and Gerens James’ header from the rebound was chested off the line by Kirk Davies.


And just two minutes later the game swung Helston’s way when it was, ironically, Cattran who volleyed past substitute keeper Paul Williams after Scott Beattie’s header from a disputed free kick fell nicely on the edge of the box.  Athletic were in no mood to let go of their lead and their tough tackling, especially on danger man Hamza Kaid, earned more yellow cards despite their vociferous protests.


With referee Kevin Knowles signalling 15 minutes of added time, The Seagulls stepped up the pressure as Calum Elliot moved up into midfield, and started to play their best football of the match, but they were unable to fashion any clear-cut chances against a resolute defence.


Helston scored a second goal on 90+10 to remove any possibility of extra time and thoughts of the game ending in darkness.  Outstanding midfielder Matthew Bye collected a quickly taken left-sided short corner and swerved a superb shot past Paul Williams into the far corner from near the angle of the penalty area.


In this, the first of four huge matches on successive Saturdays, Mousehole can take some consolation from the fact that Helston had to be at their very best on the day, with their jubilant celebrations clearly suggesting this was a big win for them.


It’s another Cup day at Trungle Parc this coming Saturday (17th), this time in the third round of the League Cup against Premier Division leaders Plymouth Argyle Reserves – the fifth higher-Division side Mousehole will have faced this season.  Kick off is at 2pm, with extra time and penalties to decide the tie if necessary, and as another sizeable crowd is expected spectators travelling by car are advised to arrive early.


The following Saturday (24th), The Seagulls return to League action when they travel to Lux Parc to face an interesting challenge at Division One West leaders Liskeard Athletic, who have won all ten of their games so far.  Then, on December 1st, it’s a local derby at Penzance in the first round of the Cornwall Charity Cup.


Mousehole v Helston Athletic: Jason Robertson, Tyler Tonkin, Billy Curtis (captain), Calum Elliot, Tom Hands, Luke Hunter, Steve Burt, Paulo Sousa, Hamza Kaid, Gerens James, Hermann Niamke.


Substitutes: Craig Wilcox (for Hermann Niamke, 58), Paul Williams (for Jason Robertson, 62), Mark Richards (for Tom Hands, 88), Ryan Andrew, Lorenzo Qerimi.


Helston scorers: Phil Cattran (77), Matthew Bye (90+10).


Referee: Kevin Knowles.     Attendance: 126


Please follow and like us:

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.