Already promoted back to the Premier Division after relegation last year, Mousehole Reserves have been sitting on top of Division 1 for most of the season and needed a win to secure their status as League champions.

And on an evening notable for a strong blustery wind  – not altogether unexpected at this venue – The Seagulls bagged the necessary three points to give an unassailable lead over Penwith Exiles with one game still to play, but they had to come from behind and work hard to get this win.

It was clear from the start that Culdrose, with nothing to lose, could taste an upset in the air, with the pressure firmly on the visitors.  In the early stages little went Mousehole’s way, with Chris Bullock twice and Lee Robinson and Nathan Goodspeed off target.  Then, on the break, the hosts took a shock lead, a fine shot from the left just tucking under ‘keeper Jonathan Fitchett.

Mousehole took a while to settle after this, but they then came close on several occasions with shots from Chris Bullock and Nathan Goodspeed, a free kick from captain Joe Davies that just clipped the crossbar, and a penalty shout when Michael Fitchett was brought down in the area.

A change of formation followed, with Michael Fitchett brought into a more central position to take advantage of his height and JJ Simmonds going out wide to the left wing.  And it soon paid dividends when Fitchett won a cross and flicked it on to Goodspeed for a solid strike under the Culdrose keeper into the net for an equaliser and a massive feeling of relief.

In the second half the wind caused difficulty for both sides, although Mousehole seemed to adapt better, with the back four again impressive.  It was not long before a break on the right wing found JJ Simmonds combining with Louis Main whose fine effort sailed into the Culdrose net for a 2-1 lead.  And the champions-elect made it 3-1 a few minutes later after Fitchett’s darting run into the penalty box was halted illegally, with Chris Bullock converting the spot kick.

But Culdrose came back, only to shoot wide of the right-hand upright from a penalty of their own, then forcing Jonathan Fitchett into a finger-tip save, and setting up a tense final ten minutes before the celebrations could begin.

A key aspect of the Mousehole performance was again a tremendous team spirt, with every individual working for each other in true ‘Flying All Together’ fashion.  Player-Manager Harry Tonkin led from the touchline for the second game in a row and his mentoring and encouragement, ably supported by assistant Mark Trevail, was a major feature, as it has been throughout the season.

The Squad:  Jonathan Fitchett, Joe Davies (captain) Tom McGarry, Harry Tonkin, Jason Simmonds, Michael Fitchett, Chris Bullock, Jamie Simons, Matthew Howes, Tom Hooper, Nathan Goodspeed, Caleb Marsden, Lee Robinson, Josh Storey, Louis Main, Jamie Robinson.

Mousehole Reserves’ last fixture of the season is this Saturday, 28th April, away at Hayle Reserves (2.30pm), who are currently in third place.  The Seagulls will be looking to maintain their superb record of 16 wins and only one defeat from 19 games so far, the Division’s highest scoring team (73 goals) and the meanest defence (15).

Please follow and like us:

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.