match report mousehole vs callington





The one downside so far to Mousehole’s new season at the highest level in the club’s history had been their failure to put away the countless chances created by their fine approach play.  But this was put right emphatically on Saturday as Jake Ash’s team at last showed a clinical streak to record a resounding victory – and in truth their east-Cornwall visitors could well have suffered an even heavier defeat.

With no let-up in Mousehole’s intensity, the goals ranged from the first to the 91st minute, Gerens James starting off the proceedings straightaway and talented newcomer Scott Imade polishing things off right at the end.

The win keeps The Seagulls in third place in the table after five games and also leaves them one of only two undefeated teams in the league alongside leaders Saltash United.

Last season’s 43-goal striker Gerens James proved he has not lost his scoring touch by opening his account for the current campaign inside the first minute.  Kieran Toland powered his way to the byeline on the right and his low cross was unhesitatingly tucked home from 10 yards. 

Steven Ziboth then also got his first goal of the season in the 25th minute, racing from halfway on to a skilfully-weighted ball over the top to score past exposed keeper Jake Mead.

Amara Bakayoko had already hit the post before making it 3-0 in the 43rd minute, his sheer pace taking him past the last defender and round the keeper to roll into an empty net.

Gerens James and Kieran Toland were both denied ‘goals’ by the officials and Toland shot into the side netting after a great turn in the box, while assistant manager Ben Harding came close to a rare career goal with an 18-yard side-footer just wide of the post.

Callington were forced to replace keeper Mead  – injured earlier in the half – with outfield player Elliot Cunningham at the interval, and the substitute was quickly in action, keeping out a Bakayoko shot on 48.  But he was left stranded in the 54th minute when Toland made a trade-mark forward run to collect a chipped pass and lob the ball home for 4-0.

To their credit, the visitors – who had earned their first point of the season with an unexpected 3-3 draw at Liskeard Athletic in midweek – kept probing at the other end, with The Seagulls’ otherwise under-occupied keeper Mikey Flores called into action three times in four minutes.

The 71st minute saw a mix-up in front of an open goal when James and Ziboth got in each other’s way after Bakayoko had set up the perfect chance, but the next score was not long in coming as Toland again got to the byeline this time on the left and James dispatched his cross high into the net in the 76th minute.

Stand-in keeper Cunningham made another smart save on 79 minutes before Bakayoko scored his second goal to make it 6-0 four minutes from the end with a low drive inside the near post after a skilful flicked pass from Imade.

Callington got on the scoresheet with a well thought-out goal on 88 when a free kick on the left was aimed low towards the near post where Harry Bell capped an industrious performance with a deft touch past Flores.

But the scoring still wasn’t over, as Imade finished off a lively 25 minutes coming off the bench with a central 20-yard free kick cleverly placed round the defensive wall and into the corner.

Mousehole’s next fixture is away at St Blazey this Wednesday (28th, 7.30pm).  The hosts have won three and lost two so far, but will be buoyed by two successes in a row, 2-0 at Penzance in midweek followed by 4-1 at Wendron United on Saturday.

The Seagulls then complete August’s intriguing seven-match run of games with a home match against Wadebridge Town on Saturday 31st with a 3pm kick off.

Mousehole:  Mikey Flores, Billy Curtis (captain), Mark Richards, Ben Williams, Paulo Sousa, Lez Cela, Kieran Toland, Ben Harding, Amara Bakayoko, Gerens James, Steven Ziboth

Substitutes:  Scott Imade (for Lez Cela, 65), Tom Hands (for Ben Harding, 65), Tyler Tonkin (for Steven Ziboth, 78), Jamie Devine

Mousehole scorers: Gerens James (1, 76), Steven Ziboth (25), Amara Bakayoko (43, 86), Kieran Toland (54), Scott Imade (90+1) Referee: Jon Green.     Attendance: 78

Please follow and like us:

One comment

  1. Welldone boys keep it going, and just to say unlucky to the reserves going to Falmouth with 6 players missing and their assistant manager Mark travail playing for the first time in 4 years and only loosing in the very last minute was to me a great effort.

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.